40 things I want to teach my son.

Saturday, April 18, 2015

With our up and coming big August wedding getting closer and closer, it's given me a different perspective on quite a few things. Our future and Mason's future being one of them. I always think of the type of parent I want to be, what kind of family dynamic I want Mason to grow up in with Garrett and I, and hopefully somewhere down the road, some siblings of his own.While I'm sure we'll be experimenting with different parenting methods for quite some time, aka our whole life, I have also put a lot of thought into the certain things that I want to make sure Mason knows and learns as he grows up, (aside from the regular schooling and ABC's, obviously):
                                 
  1. Have Christianity be your base. Your strong base that you can always lean on and grow to love.
  2. MANNERS. We don't teach you to say "please" and "thank you" for fun, it's to benefit you and your future. I promise. 
  3. Be active! Play sports, go outside, ride a bike, play tag. We will not let you stay cooped up inside all day playing video games or watching TV, so let your imagination run free and play! 
  4. Always respect your parents. 
  5. Don't be afraid to stick up for yourself, but never be a bully. 
  6. Learn how to cook! Your father is an amazing cook (and your mom) so we can't wait for you to join in on some lessons. 
  7. Family first, always. 
  8. Be creative and realize that you can do whatever you put your mind to. Nothing is out of reach. You can do whatever you put your mind to and I promise your father and I will be there cheering you on and being your biggest supporters every step of the way. 
  9. Showing emotions is not a bad thing.
  10. You're going to go through phases, and we want you to always feel comfortable talking to us about anything, big or small, and we promise not to judge. 
  11. Were here to help you. We are your best friends, but we will always be your parent first. Always remember that we are not the enemy, no matter how many times you disagree with our decisions or think we are the worst parents in the world for making you be inside by 8:00 on a school night. 
  12. Learn financial responsibility. Your father and I both struggled with this for quite some time, and now that we are on the right track, we want you to be, too. Never go in debt if it is not absolutely necessary! 
  13. Take pride in your culture, your family values, and morals. Never be ashamed of where you come from. 
  14. Realize knowledge is power. 
  15. Always choose experiences over materialistic things. 
  16. Take your time, and breathe. Don't feel the need to rush through life. ADULT LIFE IS HARD. Stay little, young, and carefree for as long as life will allow. 
  17. Take risks. 
  18. Stay up late with dad one night watching the basketball game, yell at the TV, eat a tub of ice cream, and know that mom won't punish you unless it becomes a regular routine.  
  19. WATER OVER SODA!
  20. Just smile at the camera and accept that your mother will never stop taking picture of you or documenting your life moment by moment. It's what I do, because you're too beautiful not to. 
  21. Always be punctual. 
  22. Be your own person. I know peer pressure is hard, but never live your life to please others. 
  23. Learn how to say "sorry" but never apologize for things that aren't your fault. 
  24. But at the same time, learn how to be the bigger person. 
  25. Chivalry isn't completely dead, and look to your father for examples. 
  26. Open doors for women (and your mother!)
  27. Never wear a baseball cap at the dinner table or in church. 
  28. Believe in Santa & the Easter Bunny, but never forget the real reason for Christmas or Easter.  
  29. Read books! 
  30. Don't forget that calling a person goes a lot farther than texting. 
  31. Keep your old soul attitude and never let it fade. 
  32. You'll make mistakes. Embrace them, learn from them, and know we won't hate you for making them. 
  33. Keep your glass half full, instead of half empty. 
  34. Love unconditionally. 
  35. When you receive compliments, take them in. Never reject or deny them. 
  36. Also, GIVE compliments! Give more than you receive. 
  37. Stand up for what you believe in. 
  38. Realize that you're worth, and never let anybody make you feel less than what you are. 
  39. Never let anyone make you feel like your emotions are invalid. 
  40. Always love yourself. 
You're father and I will love you forever, and we will believe in you and support you always. 



Twitter & Pinterest Name: @MatracaTaylor
IG Name: @matracamccord

9 comments:

  1. Those are amazing things to teach your son. As a mom of 3 boys, I am a frim advocate of every single thing you said. They are so important and really do make a difference between a man and a boy. The only thing I would add is to own up to when you are wrong - not just mistakes - but when you are wrong and be humble about it. Humility goes a long way too. Great post!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful! I'm also a boy mom and so many of these things get missed or skewed by the world. It's up to us! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that you have so many things you want to teach him and I really love SO many of these! No. 20 really cracks me up. Being that i'm a photographer, I really enjoy capturing every little moment and you can imagine it annoys my husband haha but my son will have no choice but to just live with it ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm with Whitney!! Accept it, mommas are all about the pictures. Best to accept it early little man heheheh

    ReplyDelete
  5. totally agree with number 20! My husband gets so annoyed and he says for me to just enjoy the moment!! but i am and have to document it LOL! Great lessons!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is beautiful, I feel inspired to make a list for my little girl <3

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this so much. I'm going to make a list for my daughter. <3 I'm all about making lists.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love this post! So sweet and genuine and something I think all parents would want for the kids. I guess I should make a list and put it in the baby book!

    ReplyDelete